News Daypop Archives

E.Coli Outbreak: CDC Issues Warning Against Consumption Of Romaine Lettuce

On Tuesday, health officials in the U.S. and Canada told people to avoid eating romaine lettuce because of a new E. coli outbreak. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it was working with officials in Canada on the outbreak, which has sickened 32 people in 11 states in the U.S. and 18 people in the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. No deaths have been reported, but 13 of the people who became sick in the U.S. were hospitalized. The last reported illness was on Oct. 31. ...Read more

Colorado Man Chris Watts Sentenced To Life in Prison For Killing Two Young Daughters And Pregnant Wife

A Colorado man was sentenced Monday to life in prison for killing his pregnant wife and their two young daughters and dumping their bodies on an oil work site. Prosecutors have said they agreed not to seek the death penalty in exchange for Christopher Watts’ guilty plea, after seeking approval from Shanann Watts’ family. Watts had pleaded guilty to three charges of murder in the deaths of his wife, Shanann Watts, and their young daughters. He also pleaded guilty on Nov. 6 to two counts of killing a child, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. ...Read more

CNN Seeking Hearing After White House Says They Will Work To Again Remove Jim Acosta’s Access

On Monday, CNN called on a federal court to hold emergency proceedings — this after the White House said it would again revoke press access to correspondent Jim Acosta despite a temporary restraining order on Friday to reinstate him. Acosta’s credentials were revoked after Trump denounced him as a “rude, terrible person” during a Nov. 7 news conference. CNN challenged the move in court and on Friday won a ruling that temporarily reinstated Acosta. In a filing on Monday, CNN and Acosta asked for an expedited hearing next week after top White House communications officials told Acosta in a letter late on Friday that it had already decided to suspend his press once the two-week restraining order expires. ...Read more

Search For Over 1,200 Missing After Deadliest California Wildfires Continues

Authorities continued to search through the burnt wreckage of California’s deadliest ever wildfire on Sunday, searching for any signs of the reported 1,276 people listed as missing after the Camp Fire tore through the mountain town of Paradise. As of early Sunday the blaze was 60 percent contained, officials said; up from 55 percent as of Saturday. The death toll far surpasses that of any other single California wildfire, and already ranks among the deadliest U.S. wildfires since the turn of the last century. ...Read more

Mail-Bomb Suspect Cesar Sayoc Pleads Not Guilty In Pipe Bomb Case

Pipe bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc, who is accused of mailing explosive devices to prominent Democrats and critics of President Donald Trump last month, pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges he used weapons of mass destruction in a domestic terrorism plan. Sayoc, 56, sat silently as his attorney entered the plea to a 30-count criminal indictment in Manhattan federal court. If found guilty of the most serious charges, he could be sentenced to life in prison. U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff scheduled a preliminary trial date of July 15. ...Read more

Prosecutors Say That Homeless Man And N.J. Couple Concocted Fake Story For GoFundMe Fundraiser

In a story that grabbed national attention, a New Jersey couple raised more than $400,000 to help a homeless good Samaritan. However, prosecutors said on Thursday that the story was built on deception and all three parties involved were in on the scam. The couple — Mark D’Amico, 39, and Kate McClure, 28, and the homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt Jr., 35, — were charged with second-degree theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception. If found guilty, they could serve up to five to 10 years in prison. Prosecutors allege that in November 2017, D’Amico and McClure concocted a GoFundMe campaign in honor of Bobbitt as a way to deceive donors moved by Bobbitt’s plight, and was allegedly motivated by a get-rich-quick scheme. Scott Coffina, the prosecutor in Burlington County, New Jersey, said at a press conference that “the entire campaign was predicated on a lie.” The couple first ran into Bobbitt at a freeway ramp near a casino in Philadelphia they frequented about a month before McClure supposedly met him. They befriended him with money and coffee, and eventually hatched their plan, Coffina said. However within a few months of the campaign’s creation, all of the money had been spent and when Bobbitt accused D’Amico and McClure of withholding most of the GoFundMe money he was owed, it led authorities to investigate the case, where the original tale then unraveled. D’Amico and McClure surrendered to authorities on Wednesday in Burlington County; police in Philadelphia also arrested Bobbitt on Wednesday in connection with the case. A court date has not been set. ...Read more

Deputy National Security Adviser Mira Ricardel Leaves Post After Criticism From First Lady

Just one day after the Office of the First Lady released a statement publicly criticizing Deputy National Security Adviser Mira Ricardel, the White House on Wednesday announced that she will be leaving her post. White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement on Wednesday that Ricardel “departs the White House to transition to a new role within the administration.” Sanders did not specify the aide’s new role. On Tuesday, the first lady’s spokeswoman, Stephanie Grisham, said in a statement: “It is the position of the Office of the First Lady that she no longer deserves the honor of serving in this White House.”  ...Read more

Michael Avenatti, Attorney For Stormy Daniels, Out On Bail After Arrest On Domestic Violence Charges

Michael Avenatti, the attorney for adult film star Stormy Daniels, made bail Wednesday evening after his arrest earlier on domestic violence charges. Avenatti appeared before a group of reporters and said he will be “fully exonerated,” denying the accusations and thanking the LAPD.  In his brief statement, Avenatti said: “I have never struck a woman. I never will strike a woman. I have been an advocate for women’s rights my entire career and I’m going to continue to be an advocate. I’m not going to be intimidated from stopping what I’m doing. I am looking forward to a full investigation at which point I am confident that I will be fully exonerated.” ...Read more