Entertainment Daypop Archives

Casey Affleck Apologizes For ‘Unprofessional’ Behavior After #MeToo Backlash

Actor Casey Affleck is speaking out publicly for the first time since sexual harassment allegations resurfaced against him last year.  “I behaved in a way and allowed others to behave in a way that was really unprofessional. And I’m sorry,” Affleck told The Associated Press in an interview published Thursday.  The actor was accused of verbal and physical harassment in 2010 by two women who worked with him on the set of “I’m Still Here,” a hoax documentary-style film directed by Affleck and starring Joaquin Phoenix. Affleck denied all the allegations at the time and later settled two lawsuits filed by the accusers for undisclosed amounts. Both women reportedly signed nondisclosure agreements.  The allegations against Affleck resurfaced last fall when the actor was receiving critical acclaim for his starring role in “Manchester by the Sea.” Affleck was deemed controversial in light of the past allegations, however still received the Oscar for Best Actor.  Affleck chose to skip the Oscars earlier this year and backed out of presenting the award for Best Actress.  ...Read more

Demi Lovato Cancels Remaining Dates Of Tour After Checking Into Rehab

Demi Lovato won’t be embarking on the rest of her tour as she continues her recovery process. The 25-year-old singer was scheduled to perform in Mexico in September in addition to visiting six cities in South America in November, but she has canceled the remaining shows of her Tell Me You Love Me tour, according to a statement released by her promoters. In a statement, Live Nation and Lotus Productions wrote that they “Wish Demi Lovato the best now and in the future and we hope to see her soon in South America,” the outlet reported, adding that refunds will be issued for all ticket holders. The news comes five days after multiple sources confirmed that Lovato was released from Cedars-Sinai to seek in-patient treatment following an overdose on July 24.  On Sunday, the singer made her first statement following her overdose and hospitalization, as she shared that she would “need time to heal and focus on my sobriety and road to recovery.” ...Read more

‘Catfish’ Co-Host Max Joseph Leaving Show To Pursue Filmmaking

Catfish host Nev Schulman is losing his longtime TV partner and co-host, Max Joseph, to life behind the camera. Joseph announced he is leaving the MTV show which he helped create and co-host for 7 years to pursue his budding career in filmmaking. Said Joseph: “For a while now I have been straddling two careers as TV host and filmmaker and, while this level of busy-ness is a dream come true, my life can no longer sustain it. With ‘Catfish’ still going strong after 7 seasons, 115 episodes, 31 specials and showing no sign of slowing down, I feel it is finally the time for me to make my exit.” MTV has not said if it is going to cast a replacement host for Max. ‘Catfish’ is in the middle of airing its seventh season right now. Max’s final episode will air August 22 ...Read more

New Oscars ‘Popular Film’ Category To Be Introduced At 2019 Show

The Academy of Motion Pictures just announced some changes to its annual Oscars event. In a tweet Wednesday morning, the Academy announced it’s planning a new category “around achievement in popular film.” The Academy Board of Governors has yet to reveal more information about what kind of achievement will be recognized and what qualifies as a popular film, and the Academy did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The Hollywood Reporter reported that “a single film is eligible for an Oscar in both categories- Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film and the Academy Award for Best Picture. The new category will be introduced this coming year, at the 91st Oscars.”   The new category was announced in a letter to Academy members that also reveals the 2020 date of the Oscars ceremony will be moved to earlier in February than the event usually runs. Next year’s Oscars, however, will still air on Sunday, February 24.  ...Read more

Ruby Rose To Play Batwoman For CW’s Superhero Universe

“Orange is the New Black” alum Ruby Rose has been cast to play Batwoman in both the annual DC superhero crossover event on the CW network, and in a pilot for possible series consideration. CW has confirmed its version of the character will be an out lesbian with “a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind.” She is a “highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence.” Rose is best known to American TV audiences as Stella on Netflix’s “Orange is the New Black” but was a prominent model and host in her native Australian for several years before that. Rose’s casting comes on the heels of CW casting activist Nicole Maines as the first trans superhero, who is set to join the network’s series “Supergirl” next season. ...Read more

HGTV Is The Winning Bidder On ‘The Brady Bunch’ House

It was revealed Tuesday morning that HGTV is the new owner of the iconic house used for the exterior shots of the beloved 1970s series “The Brady Bunch.” David Zaslav, chief executive officer of HGTV’s parent company Discovery, made the announcement during the company’s second-quarter earnings call. Zaslay said: “I’m excited to share that HGTV is the winning bidder and we’ll restore the home to its 1970s glory as only HGTV can.” Former *NSYNC member Lance Bass had taken to social media this week to express his disappointment at losing out on the house; Bass was initially told his offer had been the winning one but later learned it had been rejected for a more lucrative offer from a then-unidentified corporate buyer. However Bass tweeted Tuesday after the news broke saying: “I’d be pretty upset if it were anyone else, but how can you be mad at HGTV?? My television is stuck on that channel. Kudos HGTV, I know you will do the right thing with the house. That was always my biggest worry. I can smile again.” The house was listed at a starting price of almost $1.9 million; however the sale price has not been announced yet. ...Read more

Robert Redford Announces His Retirement From Acting

After a decades-long career, Robert Redford has confirmed his plan to retire from acting. His upcoming film “The Old Man & the Gun,” will likely be his final role as an actor, he said in a recent interview. “Never say never, but I pretty well concluded that this would be it for me in terms of acting, and [I’ll] move towards retirement after this ’cause I’ve been doing it since I was 21,” the 81-year-old said. But that doesn’t mean he will retire from directing and producing, the indie titan said, “We’ll see about that.” A representative for Redford confirmed the accuracy of the report. ...Read more

Showtime Announces That ‘Homeland’ Will End With Season 8

Showtime announced that “Homeland” will end after it’s eighth season. The news has been expected for a while, but Showtime Networks CEO David Nevins confirmed the news on Monday at the TV Critics Association press tour. The news also comes as executive producer Alex Gansa was said to be “unequivocally done” after this season, as star Clare Danes said earlier this summer. Nevins said Gansa and Danes had talked for a while about ending the show after Season 8, when the show’s most recent three-year renewal was set to end. Showtime programming head Gary Levine: “That show is not limping in the sunset. Last season was one of the best ever.” Showtime said production on the final 12 episodes will begin in early 2019 in a “still-to-be-determined location.”  ...Read more

Seth Rogen Apologizes For The Use Of Blackface On Set Of “Good Boys”

Seth Rogen, a producer on the comedy film Good Boys with Evan Goldberg, has issued an apology after leaked photos from the set showed a stand-in for a child actor wearing blackface makeup. “I should start by saying this shouldn’t have happened, and I’m terribly sorry it did.” Rogen said in a statement. TMZ had published photos on Thursday that revealed the child stand-in for 11-year-old Keith L. Williams sitting on the Vancouver set wearing darkened face makeup. Sources connected to production company Good Universe told the site it’s “not uncommon for lighting purposes to match actors’ skin tones.” Williams stars alongside Jacob Tremblay, Molly Gordon, and Brady Noon in Good Boys, about four boys on a mission to fix a broken toy. The film will open in theaters in 2019. ...Read more

Patrick Stewart To Reprise Jean-Luc Picard Role In New ‘Star Trek’ Series

Patrick Stewart will be reprising his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new Star Trek series for CBS All Access. The actor announced the news on Twitter, calling the chance to play Picard again “an unexpected but delightful surprise.”  Stewart played the iconic Starfleet captain on Star Trek: The Next Generation from 1987 to 1994, and last reprised the role in the 2002 film Star Trek: Nemesis.
Details about Picard’s next adventure are limited, but the new show will not be a reboot or prequel but will cover “the next chapter of Picard’s life.”   In June, news broke that the studio had hired Alex Kurtzman, co-creator of Star Trek: Discovery, to an overall deal that included expanding the Star Trek franchise. Picard’s further adventures will be broadcast on CBS All Access, the network’s premium subscription service. ...Read more